Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sharing Faith

One of the things that I struggled to understand after reading "This Blessed House" was the reasoning as to why the previous owners left all of the Christian trinkets. Some of them, such as the towel or the snow globe, are small enough and of little enough value as to be understandable, and replaceable. But there are others, such as the sticker thing on the window, and especially the silver bust that I think would be dearly missed. That is why I came to the conclusion that the previous owners were attempting to witness to the new owners, whether they knew they were not Christians or not. If I were moving into a house that had all sorts of knick knacks that pointed to a certain religion, especially one that I was unfamiliar with, I would be curious enough to dig deeper and try and understand the artifacts and the meanings behind them. The previous owners could have thought this way too, and hoped that in searching for the meanings, the new owners would convert. In my religion class, we focused on conversion, and one of the main things we talked about was the stimulus that drove the people to seek out a religion. These artifacts would act as such a stimulus.

2 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point with the previous owners. I never really gave much thought into the previous owners of the house. When I read the story I pictured the house as sort of a magical house in which the trinkets and things would just pop up magically and unannounced, rather than them being strategically placed for the next owner to find them. I think your point is really valid in that many of the artifacts and trinkets and stuff had to of been purposefully left behind. I am reminded of the idea that my pastor has often said, a person hears about God and Jesus seven times before they actually give Jesus and God a chance as a relgion. Maybe the previous owners thought that, if inundated with enough artifacts and trinkets the new owners would convert to Christianity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, I think it is interesting how we automatically assume that these artifacts were purposely left behind, though it does seems reasonable. However, I like the Le's idea better. It makes the story more unique and leaves open the reader's ability to interpret the story however they want; they could choose to have a previous owner, or have these items appear as a sign to distinguish the differences between American and Indian culture and heritage struggles we discussed in class...

    j

    ReplyDelete